Pomegranates: Queen of the New Year Season
by Lily Aronin
Pomegranates are the queen of the New Year season in Israel. From their gorgeous red crown, to their insides bursting with glistening seeds, this fruit is easily the show stealer of the season. The Pomegranate is one of the 7 blessed fruits of Israel, and I have never tasted a more delicious pomegranate then one grown here in Israel.
One of my favorite things about this gorgeous fruit is its incredible health benefits. Its seeds are sought out worldwide to boost immunity, to fall colds, lower inflammation in the body, to reduce the risk of heart attack and cancer and its ability to boost metabolism; this is one magical fruit.
A few exciting ways to get your fill of pomegranate this season are to enjoy them the way nature intended straight from the rind, or as a delicious pomegranate and mint sorbet.
Enjoy this delicious recipe of Pomegranate and Mint Sorbet that is fantastic as a palate cleanser in between large holiday courses, or as a light refreshing dessert.
POMEGRANATE AND MINT SORBET
● 1 cup mint simple syrup (recipe to follow)
● 2 cups 100% pomegranate juice
● 1 cup 100% orange juice
● Fresh mint sprigs for garnish
MINT SIMPLE SYRUP
● 1 cup of honey
● ½ cup water
● 1 cup packed fresh mint leaves
- In a glass bowl, combine the simple syrup, pomegranate juice and orange juice.
- Pour into an ice cream maker and freeze according to manufacturer’s instructions
- If you don’t have an ice cream maker, you will need a strong blender or food processor. Freeze the mixture in a plastic container lined with plastic wrap. Blend the frozen mixture in a high quality blender or food processer and immediately refreeze.
Lily Aronin is Holistic Health Chef at Lily’s Kitchen in Israel. She shares her recipes and tricks to preparing healthy food for her family of 6 with other groups through her home deliveries, cooking classes, blogs and freezer ready cooking events. Lily is passionate about finding balance in the lives of hardworking families and enjoying the meals they share together. She loves to try new cuisines and is always on the lookout for more ways to make home cooking easy and nutritious.
Follow her: Facebook Lily’s Kitchen • Website • Instagram