Date BBQ Sauce (silan) from "JOY OF KOSHER"
Joy of Kosher
Al HaEsh (The Hebrew term for BBQ) Israeli style is not for the faint of heart. Here is a recipe for a sauce that will enhance any meats, poultry, or even vegetables.
● 1 tablespoons ground coriander
● 1 ½ teaspoons ground cumin
● 1 1/2 teaspoons sweet paprika
● 1 ½ teaspoons ground ginger
● 1 teaspoons cinnamon
● ½ teaspoon Freshly ground black pepper
● ¼ cup olive oil
4 garlic cloves, minced
● 1 medium onion, finely chopped
● 1/4 cup tomato paste
● 3 cups water
● 1/4 teaspoon saffron, crumbled into 1 tablespoon of water
● 1/2 teaspoon cayenne pepper
● 4 tablespoons Silan date honey
● 1/4 cup fresh lemon juice
- In a small bowl, combine the coriander with the cumin, paprika, ginger, cinnamon and black pepper.
- In a medium saucepan, heat the olive oil.
- Add the onion and minced garlic and cook over moderately low heat, stirring occasionally, until softened, about 10 minutes.
- Add the spice mixture and cook, stirring occasionally, until fragrant, about 4 minutes.
- Add the tomato paste and cook, stirring, for 1 minute.
- Add the water, saffron water and cayenne pepper and simmer over high heat until the sauce is slightly thickened, about 8 minutes.
- Add the silan and simmer over low heat, stirring occasionally, about 15 minutes.
- Remove from the heat.
- Stir in the lemon juice and season the sauce with salt and black pepper.