Sufganiyot (Jelly Doughnuts)
● 1 Tbsp yeast
● 2 Tbsp + 1/4 cup sugar
● 1.5 cup warm milk or water
● 4-5 cup flour
● 1 egg + 1 yolk
● 1/2 tsp. salt
● 1 tsp. baking powder
● 4 tbsp butter room temp
● 1/4 cup powdered sugar for sprinkling on top
● 1 cup jam, custard, caramel, chocolate, halva, marshmallow - any filling of preference!
- In stand mixer, or large bowl, proof yeast by mixing with 2 tbsp sugar and warm milk or water as preferred. Let sit for 10 minutes until frothy.
- Add 3 cups of flour, baking powder, egg and yolk, and rest of sugar and mix well. Add 1 cup of flour, salt, then add 1 tbsp of butter at a time until incorporated. Knead for 5-7 minutes adding extra flour as needed for a smooth consistency.
- Set in warm place to rise for 45-60 minutes.
- Gently pull off handfuls of the dough and lightly form into balls whatever size your family prefers. Rest on a baking sheet for second rise - they will double during rising.
- Heat oil in wide pot on medium high for 10 minutes. Test with a small pinch of dough - if it is the right temp, you should immediately have bubbles forming around the dough.
- Fry 2 or 3 doughnuts at a time - be sure not to crowd in the pot or they will not cook right and will be oily on the inside.
- Rest on paper towel-lined wire rack to cool for 10-15 minutes.
- Pipe your filling into the doughnut using a piping bag, or a nozzled bottle with tip big enough for filling to squeeze through.
- Sprinkle top with powdered sugar and enjoy!
*Sufganiyot are best eaten same day but do freeze well. Just pop in the microwave when ready to eat!