Beef and date molasses kebabs on cinnamon sticks
Vered Guttman, Haaretz
Copyright © http://www.haaretz.com/blogs/modern-manna/lamb-and-beef-kebab-two-recipes-to-spice-up-any-bbq-1.515180
Forming these kebabs around cinnamon sticks makes for an impressive presentation, one you can occasionally find at upscale Middle Eastern-style restaurants in Israel. (Haaretz, Vered Guttman.) Yields about 18 kebabs
● For the kebab ● 2 lbs. ground beef chuck
● 3 tablespoons date molasses
● 2 oz. pine nuts, ground in a food processor
● 2 garlic cloves, minced
● 2 tablespoons lemon juice
● 1/4 teaspoon nutmeg
● 1/2 teaspoon cardamom
● 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
● 1/4 teaspoon ground hot pepper (or to taste)
● 1/2 teaspoon white pepper
● 1 tablespoon kosher salt
● 18 cinnamon sticks (optional)
For the glaze:
● 1/4 cup date molasses
● 1/4 cup olive oil
● 1 teaspoon salt
- Mix all the ingredients except the cinnamon sticks and knead with your hands.
- Form kebabs around the cinnamon sticks (if not using the cinnamon sticks, simply form into patties.
- Put on a tray, cover with plastic wrap and put in the fridge for 2 hours, and up to overnight.
- Mix the glaze ingredients and set aside.
- Brush the kebabs with glaze on both sides and grill on charcoal or gas grill, about 2-3 minutes on each side.
- 6. Serve immediately.