BALFOUR FUN WITH FRIENDS
Is writing not your thing? Are you a people person? Try a different type of competition and gather your friends to #BeLikeBalfour and join the 1 Million signatures that will come together to sign the petition to show Balfour matters on the Balfour Declaration’s 100th birthday.
- Unite your entire community and educate on Balfour using the “6 Facts About Balfour” article from the site
- Read up on Refuting Balfour's Detractors through the blog on site
- Download and print the online form and bring it to your Balfour celebration so others can sign as well
GROUP ACTIVITIES TO COMMEMORATE BALFOUR
Try out these activities as you put everything you have written and learned about into action with fun and heated debates with your friends.
- Imagine you are Chaim Weizmann, and write a diary entry from the night before he is scheduled to meet with Lord Balfour to discuss the wording of the declaration
• Access what thoughts and feelings he may have been experiencing
- Put yourself in the shoes of a reporter during the time of the declaration and write a newspaper article
• Explore the reactions of the different countries involved
• Explore the thoughts and feelings of Lord Balfour, Chaim Weizmann, • and Lord Rothschild
• Show the importance of the document
- Who wouldn't want to be a fly on the wall in the meeting with Lord Balfour and Lord Rothschild in which Lord Rothschild presents the Balfour Declaration to the Jewish Federation
• “Live Tweet” the meeting
• Include the hashtag - #BalfourBreakingBarriers
- How did Jews living at that time feel about the Balfour Declaration? Write a “thank you” note to Lord Rothschild, Chaim Weizmann, or Lord Balfour for writing this declaration
• What would you say?
• How would you feel?
- Now write that same letter as you are today and think about the same questions
- Have a conversation with a friend: One of you will play Lord Balfour and one will play Lord Rothschild and role play the conversation when Lord Balfour presents the declaration
• Afterwards open up to discussion and explain why each of you said what you said
- Have a community debate between Team Weizmann/Rothschild VS Montague.
• What are their views?
• What do they represent?
• What are their feelings?