Butternut Squash Chili Pepper Latkes
By Chef Zissie
These gluten free latkes are so crispy on the outside and soft on the inside. They are so flavorful you won’t need any toppings! You can make them hours in advance and just warm them up right before serving! Tips for successful latkes: Drain as well as you can. Don’t make too many at a time and don’t move them or touch them in between. Use a spatula and a wooden spoon to turn the latke to its other side. If your oil gets dirty and bubbly, pour it out and pat the pan dry with a towel and use fresh oil for the next batch.
Serving Size: 8 latkes
● 1/2 butternut squash peeled, seeds removed
● 1/2 onion finely chopped
● 1/2 chili pepper chopped, seeds removed for less heat
● 2 scallions chopped
● 1/2 cup Bulgarian cheese crumbled
● 2 eggs beaten
● 3/4 teaspoon salt Pink Himalayan
● 1/2 cup extra virgin olive oil
- Hand grate the butternut squash.
- Add the butternut squash and onion into a strainer and using your hands, squeezing out any excess liquid.
- Place in bowl and add the rest of the ingredients except the olive oil. Mix well.
- Prepare a large skillet on high heat. Add ½ cup of olive oil and get hot for about 1 minute.
- Prepare the mixture in the palm of your hands making a small but thick latkeh.
Notes & Tips:
You can double the recipe if needed! Even if you don’t like spicy food, use the half a chili pepper anyways and just remove the seeds (and don’t touch your eyes!) It won’t be spicy but will add such a balance of flavor. If you don't like or want to use Bulgarian cheese, use feta cheese and 1/2 the amount of salt.