BEST ISRAELI-STYLE VEGAN BURGER RECIPE
This delish Israel inspired vegan burger will be a surefire hit with the whole family! Full of flavor and the tastes of Israel, these can be served with or without bun and travel well for picnics and bbq.
- 2 cups chickpea or lentils, cooked and drained
- 1/2 cup mushrooms
- 1/2 cup zucchini or cauliflower, grated
- 1 onion, finely diced
- 1/2 cup chickpea flour
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 2 tsp cumin
- 2 Tbsp chopped parsley
- 2 Tbsp chopped cilantro
- 3 cloves garlic, finely minced
- 3 Tbsp tahini
- 3 Tbsp lemon juice
- 1 tsp salt
- olive oil for frying
- Mince cooked chickpeas/lentils in a food processor or blender. Toss in the herbs, garlic and vegetables and pulse a few times until you reach a good chunky yet even consistency. In a large bowl (if you keep in the processor or blender, it will become paste-like), combine the rest of the ingredients and mash with a fork until the dough is soft and sticks together. If it is too dry, add more tehina.
- Form into patties of your preferred size. We also love them as small ktzitzot, ¼ cup/palm sized mini burgers with no bun at all!
- Heat 1 tbsp olive oil in a large skillet. On medium-high heat, fry the patties 3-4 minutes per side until browned and heated through. Add an additional tsp of olive oil per side for each round of frying - you really don’t need a lot to brown these delicious babies up and get them nice and hot all the way through!
- Serve as a burger on a regular or gluten free bun with lettuce and sliced vegetables, or plate it up with some delicious homemade hummus and a side of traditional Israeli salad.