Hummus and Wild Rice Stuffed Peppers
Adapted from a recipe by Martha Stewart
Hummus adds creaminess and protein to this vegetarian dish. Hummus for protein, rice for starch, and the pepper, a vegetable, itself - a well-balanced meal in one!
- 2 cups cooked wild rice
- 1 cup hummus
- 1/3 cup chopped toasted walnuts
- 1/3 cup chopped fresh parsley
- Coarse salt and freshly ground black pepper
- Red-pepper flakes
- 2 halved small bell peppers (seeds removed)
- 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
- Heat oven to 400 degrees.
- In a bowl, mix 2 cups cooked wild rice, 1 cup hummus, 1/3 cup chopped toasted walnuts, and 1/3 cup chopped fresh parsley.
- Season with coarse salt and red-pepper flakes.
- In a baking dish, arrange 2 halved small bell peppers (seeds removed) cut sides up.
- Drizzle with 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil and season with coarse salt and freshly ground black pepper.
- Divide rice mixture among peppers. Cover with parchment-lined foil and bake until tender, about 30 minutes.
- Uncover and cook until topping is slightly crisp, about 10 minutes more.
- Garnish with more chopped toasted walnuts and parsley.