Kisonai Basar (Israeli Meat Pockets)
Serving Size: 4 - 6 people
Dough ● 1 & 1/2 cups lukewarm water (355 ml)
● 1 tsp. salt
● 3 & 1/4 - 3&1/2 cups bread flour (530 - 570 grams)
● 2 & 1/4 tsp. dry yeast
● 1 tsp. sugar
● 1 large onion - chopped small
● 2 garlic cloves - chopped small
● 1/4 bunch cilantro
● 1/4 bunch parsley
● 1 lbs. ground beef (520 grams)
● 1/2 tsp. salt
● freshly ground pepper
● red hot pepper - some
● cumin - 1 tsp.
● paprika - 1 tsp.
● Garlic powder 1/2 tsp.
● Water - 1/4 cup
● Juice of 1/4 lemon
- Mix water, sugar, and yeast. Let rest 5 minutes.
- Mix 1 cup flour in the water.
- Add one more cup of flour and the salt and mix very well.
- Add one more cup of flour and start to knead a little.
- Add 1/4 - 1/2 more flour until you can get a good feelling dough. Knead it a little in that bowl.
- Put in an oiled bowl. Turn dough over and cover with plastic. 7. Let rest for 1 hour.
- Cook the onion until translucent
- Add the garlic and cook for two more minutes
- Add the ground beef and salt - brown meat.
- Add the rest of the spices and cook for another minute.
- Add the lemon juice and water.
- Divide the dough into 16 pieces. Roll each into circle.
- Add 1 tablespoon filling.
- Close, and shape into a small long roll.
- Place on parchment paper.
- Sprinkle just a little flour on bread.
- Cut small holes on top with scissors.
- Bake right away (There is no 2nd rising here).
- Throw in 1/2 cup water into the oven bottom and bake for 10 minutes.
- Throw in 1/2 cup water and bake for 20 more minutes.
- 30 minutes in total time. Let cool 5 minutes before serving.