Mizrahi Fish Head Soup
Yes, such a thing exists and Israeli love to eat this delicious recipe for Rosh Hashanah!
● 2 lbs sea bass heads
● 2 chopped onions
● 2 cup sliced carrots
● 2 cup chopped celery - in Israel we commonly include the celery leaves as well
● 1 chopped red pepper
● 6 mashed garlic cloves
● 1 cup cubed potatoes
● 1 cup corn (optional)
● 6 cups fish stock or fish broth
● 4 Tbs extra virgin olive oil
● 3 Tbsp paprika - sweet or spicy, as preferred
● 1/2 tsp oregano
● 1 tsp cumin
● 4 Tbsp tomato paste
● 2 Tbsp finely chopped parsley
● Juice of 1 lemon
● Salt and pepper to taste
- Sauté onions, celery, and carrot until softened.
- Add peppers, potatoes, garlic, spices, corn, and 2 cups of broth.
- Let simmer for 10-15 minutes.
- Sprinkle fish heads with salt and add to pot.
- Stir in tomato paste and rest of broth.
- Bring to a boil.
- Lower to medium heat and cook for 30 minutes.
- Add juice of 1 lemon juice and add parsley and fresh ground pepper.
- After 10 minutes, remove from heat and serve hot with toasted garlic pita chips.