Chanukah Lyrical Art of Modi'in
Paint the music of Chanukah on to an Israeli landscape and create a Chanukah decoration your family can use for years to come.
• Watercolor paper
• Watercolor paints
• Jar or Bowl for water
• Paper towels for blotting
• Colored pens
• Oil pastels, optional
• Text of Mi Yimalel, Banu Choshech or any other Chanukah song in both Hebrew and English
• Blank paper for practicing
• Pencil for sketching
STEPS TO CREATE YOUR ISRAELI LANDSCAPE WITH CHANUKAH SONG LYRICS
1. Select an image you like of the ancient land of Modi’in, such as the one below:
2. Using different colored pens &/or oil pastels draw the outlines of the land that you see, incorporating as many of the rocks, trees, etc as possible.
3. Write the text of your favorite Chanukah song in Hebrew & English, (or your native language), in permanent pen anywhere you want on your page. Click HERE for a selection of Chanukah Songs and lyrics.
4. Get creative! You can draw an Israeli flag and write the words to the song inside of it. You can write the words in curvy lines in the sky. You are the artist, so you are in charge of your artwork. The idea here is to incorporate the text to Chanukah songs into the land where the Chanukah battle took place.
5. Once all your lines and words are written/drawn, begin painting with your watercolor paints. Please note: the permanent ink & oil pastels will stay the same, so you can paint right over them.
6. Lay flat to dry. Watercolor paints will drip if held upright! So be sure your painting is dry before you pick it up.
7. Once dried you can frame it, laminate it to create a Chanukah placemat, punch a hole in the top and tie a ribbon through to hang in your house as a Chanukah decoration, or mount it and frame it to bring out every year as a Chanukah decoration to commemorate this monumental time in Jewish history.
Painting as a part of a class or art group? Send us your selfies and group pics for a shoutout throughout our global Jewish community who loves sharing the Israel connection with their fellow Virtual Citizens of Israel around the world. Follow us social media and you can either post your pic online and tag us in your post or email it directly to Stefie@IsraelForever.org.
Help your students find unique ways you to incorporate the Israeli flag and the flag of the country in which you reside into your drawings as well, so that the world can see the vast number of nationalities of our IFF artists!
Stefanie Jo Heideman, founder of Art Escapades, is an art educator who believes that art is not supposed to be competitive, but rather a peaceful, relaxing experience for one to engage in and enjoy. As the Arts and Education Specialist for Israel Forever, Stefie is able to weave her love of Israel into her projects and lesson plans for individuals of all ages and stages of life.