Israeli Levivot (Potato Pancakes)
● 1 onion
● 2 zucchini
● 1 sweet potato
● 4 potatoes
● 2 eggs
● 1/4 cup chickpea flour
● 1-2 tsp. salt
● 1 tsp. cumin
● 1 tsp. paprika
● 1/8 tsp. white pepper
● Oil for frying
- Shred potatoes, zucchini and onion.
- Strain out excess liquid.
- Add flour to coat all vegetables.
- Add eggs and seasonings.
- Mix well and let rest for 10-20 minutes in fridge.
- Pour 1 inch of oil into a deep frying pan and heat on medium high flame
- Using two spoons, drop heaping tablespoons into the hot oil and press down with backside of the spoon. Be careful not to burn yourself!
- Fry until golden brown on each side then rest on a plate/tray covered with paper towel to absorb the excess oil. If cooking in large batches, lay on a wire rack and keep warm in the oven set at a low heat.
Serve with applesauce, sour cream or yogurt, tzatziki, hummus or tehina - anything goes with these finger-licking latkes!
Be careful not to burn yourself!